Board index Security Virus & Other Malware Removal Help Is Better-Search.net a scam address?

Is Better-Search.net a scam address?

Please post your security problems, discussion and get support of Virus and Other Malware Removal help here

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:40 am

I downloaded a music convertor from the Internet several days ago and a message jumped up and asked me whether I wanted to install some other recommended programs as well. I clicked No, thanks.

It seemed that I had rejected installed those apps I didn't want. However, when I open Firefox, this Better-Search.net displayed instead of my original homepage. I noticed some other shortcuts of other websites had been added onto my desktop, too. Antispyware app was of no use, it even couldn't detect this thing. What can I do now?

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:58 am

Better-Search.net looks like legitimate search engine and it also provides search function. But it is indeed a browser hijacker that will try to change the settings of browsers. The default homepage and search engine will be altered as well. That's why you will see the default browsers are changed into http://better-search.net.

You can go to Task Manager (by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL together) and end its related processes. To have a normal browser environment, you have to change back the browser settings. Take Google Chrome as example, click on ‘Customize and control’ → ‘Settings’ → ‘Basic Options’. Change Google Chrome’s homepage to google.com or any one you like. Next, click the ‘Manage Search Engine’, select ‘Google’ from the list and make it your default search engine. Hope this would help!

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:48 am

Yes, it must be! I just get rid of it several days ago! Tough job. I used to be redirected to this site and cannot get any useful information. All it displayed were deceptive commercial links! I would not buy it though. I just let it alone first, not taking it seriously. But things got worse and worse. I received at least one pop-up window each time I open site. Any accidental click on the windows, a shady website will jump up immediately! You can reset your browsers to get a thorough removal effect!

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:54 am

Thanks you guys!! It's good to know that someone have removed it successfully! BTW, Rachel, what did you do to get it out?

Post Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:59 am

You're very welcome! :lol: William's advices are good. What I did was mostly the same as what he had told you. Just remember to clean all add-ons related to this Better-Search.net! Thus, it cannot come back to you again!

Return to Virus & Other Malware Removal Help